Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hanging out with the OC and Invisible Children

I did something I probably won't ever do again in my life. Me and a friend went down to a club in LA called the King King for a party to celebrate and raise money for Invisible Children. If you haven't seen the film, you should really check it out. The money you pay for the film goes to helping orphans in Uganda which has been ravaged by civil war for many years now. Kids are always the ones who pay when adults go to war.


Anyway, back to the OC. The blonde actor on that show saw the film and organized a night to raise money for the cause. How am I connected you might ask? One of my good friends at seminary grew up with the producer of Invisible Children so he invited us to come. There were many famous people....and us. And I am one of those people who can't recognize famous people, I just know I've seen them before somewhere. It was an interesting environment to be in to say the least. LA....orphans....pretty people.....poverty.....I think it shows people are longing to make a difference in the world through unconventional means.

Invisible children is doing an amazing job at raising awareness and creating grassrooots solutions in Uganda. In almost every country in Africa, there are many problems because war and AIDS have pervaded many of the places over the last 20 years. Being at fuller has opened my eyes to these realities as some of my neighbors are from Ethiopia and Kenya. I have been learning how little things can go a long way.

One of my friends, Chris and his wife, Andrea, are over there now working in an orphanage and he sent some pictures of one of the wars. They are distrubing, but I think eye opening to the realities that we remain separated from.

Anyway, it was an interesting night seeing the collision of poverty and power in the same place. I'll never forget it. And, I got hit on by a guy. yes, you can laugh at that.

peace

corey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I finally read your blog. I didn't know what I was missing. Sounds like clubbing it up with the stars was awesome. It is interesting to think about all of the complexitities that go into a night like that. Thanks for sharing. This was some good soul food.

Anonymous said...

CP! I love you brotha! Oh, and I certainly "laughed at that" last comment. :) Hilarious.

jason said...

amazing...