Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What do you think of this guy?

CNN.com Video

I think this guy actually raises a pretty important question: how do you distinguish between a healthy faith community and an unhealthy one? how do you know who you can trust with so many different messages out there about God?

I am really interested in what people think about this. If you haven't noticed, religion is weird and often very destructive. Even within one religion like Christianity, there are so many voices with drastically different messages that say they believe basically the same thing (jesus, bible, etc). How do you discern what is true? what is real?

This is a question I have been wrestling through and continue to for some time and am interested in knowing what you think. I'll post on it later.

6 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

It makes me wonder how someone goes about proving that they are a god. What does he use other than words? And, is it necessary to use more than words?

Anonymous said...

I think there's a reason why the Jewsish people never spoke the name of God out loud.
mom

Anonymous said...

this is not about this post, but I just checked out your hope athletics blog and it was sweet! It was great talking with you lst night.

I think that is critical that we always go back to following Jesus and not Paul, Apollos, Jason, Corey, Traci, etc...

Danielle Paxton said...

Thanks for responding guys.

Shannon- I wonder why 1.4 million have put their trust in him too? He says he does greater things than Jesus of Nazareth and his message about no sin and no hell is pretty appealing. It reminds me of the book of Matthew when Jesus says their will be many things and people that lead people astray with all kinds of signs and wonders.

And I think action is a key element too because the character of God always takes the form of the cross in a community, why would the church not too in seeking to serve and sacrifice for others if it is Christ's church?

traci and mom- i like those answers a lot, but at the same time I think we have to press deeper because many people say many different things about following Jesus (i don't think anyone has it completely right yet), but there are obviously people/messages that are more faithful to Jesus than others. How can you tell?

Anonymous said...

maybe heeding Gamaliel's advice would be fitting. Acts 5:33-39
leave him alone....and let his own actions reveal the truth.

i think a big mistake would be to give this guy any attention.

1 Corinthians 3!8- 4:7
is also helpful to me in descerning truth from fiction.I like that we are stewards of the 'mysteries' of God.
that includes everything that we don't know... but any religion or faith that seems to know it all is off base because we can only know such a small part and that is what the Lord has chosen to reveal to us.
... what we do know is so achingly beautiful that we devote our lives to it

People are always trying to make a christianity without the cross... but there is no such thing!!

just quick thoughts. good question. mom

Anonymous said...

After watching the CNN show, it makes me think, "Why did CNN put this guy on the air? CNN seems somewhat culpable in this matter. The media loves controversy. Whenever the media brings this out, it makes it more difficult for true believers to proclaim the message, because most people believe what they hear on television, and do not know how to distiguish what is truth and what is fiction. I think you talking about it helps though.
Paul