Monday, June 18, 2007

You are a Theologian?

Right now, I am taking a two-week intensive class on Systematic Theology 3: Ecclesiology and Eschatology.

Even the name of the class sounds terrible. What does that even mean anyway?

The traditional discipline of systematic theology has been ripped on for trying to put God in a box, for creating a system through which we can understand God, ourselves, and the world in nice, neat systems.

We intuitvely know this is not possible and is a waste of time if the God of the Bible is living and active. How could we ever put the God who created heaven and earth in a box?

So, why take this class? Why waste my time?

The purpose of the class is not to box up God, but to understand how the church has understood huge questions about what it means to be the church (ecclesiology), how God is active in the world and what is the destiny of humanity and the cosmos (eschatology). Basically, I will be studying how the church has understood the complex issues that surround these questions from the beginning of the christian movement to present in two weeks. Actually pretty interesting.

Systematic theology can be helpful because each of us is a theologian. We answer these questions all the time. Statements such as.....

.....I would never go to church or I am going to church this morning is a theological statement (meaning church is a place we go)

....If I could just win the lottery, my life would really be great is a theological statement. (life is better if i have more money)

.....God has really blessed you with that house. He has really rewarded me for my hard work is a theological statement. (houses are rewards)

.....God doesn't want me to go to church, but to be the church is a theological statement. (church can be an individual thing I become)

.....what really matters is that we just all get along and love each other is a theological statement.

.....If everyone just took care of their family, the world will be a better place is a theological statement...

I'm sure you could think of a lot of other ones that we hear or say on a daily basis. One tendency we all have is to fit God neatly into our precoceived ideas rather than letting Him shape our minds, hearts, values, and lives with His character and purposes.

What informs our ideas about God and our place in the world?

How can we do better theology that is more faithful to what God desires?

I think understanding the ways the church has understood these difficult issues throughout history can help us move beyond endless questions and a faith in which God baptizes our priorities into a faith that God brings us into His purposes and priorities in the world.

I am hoping to take away some tools to help ordinary theologians follow God more fully in our time and place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Corey - an awesome post - you are so right that each person has their own theology - one question that seems important is whether they realize the theology they have adopted or just gravitated to it by the force of culture without ever examining it. May this two weeks be an awesome run for you.

Dad