This is an attempt to make a long story short in the midst of studying for exams. During my time at Fuller, God has burdned our hearts for orphans in Africa. We've been studying, learning, and building relationships to best understand how we can partner with churches in Africa to care for orphans in a holistic way. One of my prayers has been God would lead me to people I can trust in the church in Africa to multiply their efforts to care for kids that have no future or hope because of the devastation caused by the AIDS crisis. In Kenya alone, 1/4 of the adult population has died from AIDS and has left over 4 million orphans just in that country. The current number of 15 million orphans in Sub-Saharahan africa is expected to rise to 20 million by 2010. Can you even fathom that number of kids without home and care?
Anyway, over the last year I have built a great friendship with a pastor from Kenya who is getting his PHD at Fuller studying how the church in Kenya can best care for orphans holistically. His church began by taking in 5 orphans who lost both their parents to AIDS in Nairobi, Kenya, and now are caring for 80 kids in rented flats and church facilities. They have been raising money to buy a property that can become a holistic orphan care sanctuary for over 100 kids. The entire price of the property is just over 40,000. They need 23,000 down to buy it and they raised 15,000 on their own. I've helped them raise 6,000 more toward that effort and we are just 2,000 dollars short of being able to buy the property which is a huge need and an exciting stage to be involved in actually making a difference in bringing hope to kid's lives.
My friend, Jason, one of the pastors of the new church community we are joining with this fall, and I are going this summer, August 1-15, to build continue building a relationship with Joseph, see the situation firsthand, and see how God is continuing to lead us in future partnership.
Right now, I am trying to help him develop a web-site to give on-line and raise the remaining 2,000. I need $550 for the web-site and 2,000 to help him buy the land.
This would mean about 20 people giving 100 bucks, 200 people giving 10 bucks, or 10 people giving 200 bucks, or 20,000 people giving 10 cents. Anybody interested in helping?
The best way to give is either to write a check directly to Africa Hope Center or to Visio Dei (church in Raleigh) and designate for Africa Hope Center, and then they will write the check collectively.
The two addresses can be found on www.africahopecenter.org or www.visiodei.org
Thanks for considering making this is a reality
Peace
CP
Monday, June 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I talked with Jason last night about your trip. This sounds like an amazing opportunity! I'm already praying for you guys and the people that you are going to be interacting with.
do you know if we have sent our $$ yet?
Corey, I think that you are going to make an impact wherever you go, because you are very good at unifying a vision, then enabling people to see what God is doing in his creation. I am excited for you and Jason and we will be praying for you. Peace.
Hey Brother,
It's been a long time. I spoke with your parents the other day to invite them and your grandmother to my wedding in October. They mentioned all the great things you are doing so I had to check it out myself. It brings joy to my heart to see where God has led you, Danielle, and the little ones. I'll be praying for success with the African Hope Center. There's a check in the mail. I hope it helps. May God bless you abundantly.
wow, casey, it is really great to hear from you! Thanks for the check and for the love. What are you up to these days besides eating cajun food?
corey
casey,
somehow, i missed you saying your wedding in october. congrats bro!
where you guys going to be? what are you up to these days?
Post a Comment