Friday, May 11, 2007

An Uncomfortable Bank Encounter (by Danielle)

We went to the bank the other day with both girls. Shiloah was strapped to my chest and Hannah rode happily in the single stroller. Corey went ahead in line to deposit a check and I waited in the lobby with the girls, making sure to stand so that Hannah could still see her "CoreyDaddy." Then the bank manager came over.
She is always very nice and smiley when we come in, and the folks there seem to recognize us because of the girls. Usually the manager is behind her desk but today she decided to venture over to us. She proceeded to talk to Hannah, touch her head and her hair, her cheeks, her hands and the stroller. Then she moved on to Shiloah, lifting up her hat, commenting "Oh, you're not so cute, but your sister sure is!" (This is added to the exceeding long list of Stupid Things People Say to You When You Have Kids.) I was understandably annoyed.
Then she went back to cooing at Hannah, touching her still. Hannah started saying "No, girl. No, girl." and shaking her head away from the woman's touch. I stood there and tried to smile, not sticking up for my young daughter who was trying to communicate to this woman that she didn't want to be touched anymore! My dilemma was that I didn't want to upset the woman, make her angry or offend her. Instead I subjected my 22 month old daughter to something she was uncomfortable with. I left there feeling sick to my stomach.
I can't believe I would do that! I am still sick to my stomach about it. Corey and I made a pact that we would not do that ever again. It happened to us once before, and we vowed never again.
Obviously, the feelings of my beautiful little girls are more important than the feelings of this boundary-crossing bank manager. I walked by the bank today, secretly desiring to go back and recreate the situation so that I could make up for my mistake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Danielle, what a hard situation. I'm so sorry for those stupid people in the world. I can imagine I too would've been a bit frozen in such a situation, so I can relate to the after-feelings. I hope the sick feeling has subsided. Your and Corey's evident and constant love for Hannah is going to overpower that one experience for her. Peace my friend!

Anonymous said...

It definitely has subsided a bit, but I still hate that it happened! Thanks for the encouragement, Maija! :) --Danielle