Friday, May 11, 2007

What if you were on PBS?

One of my good friends at Fuller stopped by yesterday and told me he might be on PBS next year for a documentary they are doing on "the call." It's a documentary on four different types of seminaries training peple for religious leadership--buddhist, jewish, muslim, and christian. The lady from PBS went to one of Paul's classes, and because Paul was one of the only people talking openly in class- she asked him if he might want to be on the show--- Crazy. Well, this is a little exciting and scary for Paul because she would basically follow him around with a camera for a while and he would represent Christians in leadership training for the nation--

Sometimes, I catch Hannah just looking at me, and then imitating me, and I think about all the people I come in contact with every day that I have an impact on--even if you are like PBS and not many people watch you, someone does (ha)

What would people see if your life became the PBS show? your attitudes? the things you care about? your relationships? your free time?

I think the PBS effect is something we need to evaluate our life by on a regular basis. In a culture where the Christian message is mass-marketed into a product or else marginalized as irrelevant, we need to reclaim the reality that our lives are the message about God to the world. We are often guilty of making an idol of religious leaders, books, conventions, church numbers.

We need to claim the reality of the ordinary person and community being the revolutionary message of Christ to the world. What if churches were known for Christ's character being so evident among the people serving and bringing hope to others rather than the name of the pastor or sign in front of the building? One of the central differences between the movement of Jesus and other religions is that Jesus is alive in the lives of ordinary people to reflect His character in the world.

"You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts and read by everbyody. You show that you are a letter from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant---not of the leter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life...Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless of course you fail the test?" II Cor 3:2-3; II Cor 13:5

Paul's words are written to whole communities--- it is easy to hide or deceive ourselves as individuals, we need each other to grow and change, dream, imagine, and live a different reality--

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't do it Paul!!!!
mama p.

Bernie said...

I have to respectfully disagree with Mama P. Paul, if you get the chance, you gotta do this, man. In my leadership class yesterday, I was commenting on the fact that I have learned far more from the leadership risks I have taken than I ever have when I've decided not to take that risk. There may be pressure in something like this, but it is these anxiety-producing times that push us toward growth. Yeah, it might be the case that you say something stupid or do something that you wish you hadn't done, but that's okay. I am certain that you would also demonstrate the truth of your commitment to Christ, to studying his word, and to making a difference in the lives of those around you. Thankfully, God's mission in this world is not entirely dependent on you, but he may use you mightily in ways that you never imagined. So I say relax and have fun if this opportunity comes your way! (Plus, seeing yourself on TV is pretty cool!)

I like the phrase "claim[ing] the reality of the ordinary person." Part of claiming that reality is allowing our faults and our pains to show. In an ideal world, instead of all of us running away from these things, we would run to bring them out in the open in a community of love and hope, for it is only in that state of reality that we can be sharpened by one another. How can any of us bring a message of God's grace to others if we don't show them how much we have needed that grace? I don't find the polished, untouchable pastor to be a very attractive ambassador for Christ's grace and mercy, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

So, I'm excited that Paul need not worry about living the perfect life in front of the camera - that's the whole point, right? That as we continue to learn what it means to be "in Christ" and live a godly life, the important lessons are about grace. Surely, some who would watch our lives on PBS would misunderstand that, and Paul (the Apostle) has told us that we can expect this, but it seems that it would be very beneficial in this post-Haggard/Bakker/Swaggart era for the world to see a Christian leader who's not pretending to be perfect and is okay with that.

Paul M. Pace said...

Mama P., thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it. :)

Paul M. Pace said...

Bernie, your comments have resonated with me, because there is definite anxiety about this whole situation. I realize though that walking through the anxiety is the key to growth. Also in my life, it was the times when I decided to pursue what God was doing with me in relation to God's mission in the world that I truly saw miracles. The issue that keeps coming up is, "What will I say, what will I do?"
Sometimes the difference between true Christianity and other religions is that my doing is not separate from who I am as a person.
How do we market that? You can't necessarily, so that is my quandary. I am thinking that the documentary will not grasp who Jesus is, because God is not about time, but humans definitely are.

Anonymous said...

my concern is because i have seen how media and press can make things look different than they really are and how often (Especially having to do with Christianity)things reported are taken out of context....and it is really hard to capture a 'real, authentic' life on t.v.
i agree that risk taking is important ..i just question whether this risk is worth taking.
sincerely, mama p.!!

It's okay if you disagree with me Bernie. i feel the respect!!!

Danielle Paxton said...

bernie

thanks for the thoughtful reply, WE HAVE TO HANG OUT THIS WEEK, yes that was an internet yell. I think you are right on that it is the broken vessels that God shines his light through, cracked pots, imperfect people who are in Christ authentically seeking transformation in Him--

Mom, I can understand your hesitation, i have many reservations about it and me and Paul talked about it last night, but I would like to see paul do it and see what kind of growing experience it is for him and I would like to see him on TV!

Paul,

i am wondering what you mean by God is not about time? I wasn't sure what you mean by that and didn't want to assume I knew.

And I think you say and do the life your living in Christ with the gifts you have!

Paul M. Pace said...

Corey Paxton. I said that in the voice that I usually use, but it doesn't sound the same when I write it. :)
The statement 'God is not about time' is basically twofold. First I was thinking in terms of a documentary looking at OUR lives in the scope of a week or two; and secondly that God is not in a hurry. I want things to happen, I want to get things done, but I am continually learning that 'In Christ', life takes time. It has also been used as an excuse to do nothing, which is not what I am thinking. :)
It is hard to explain with a short amount of space.

Danielle Paxton said...

thanks for clarifying paul

yes, things take time in the grand scheme, but God cares about our lives, decision, and time and how we use it and wants to lead us to a more integrated life