Thursday, April 26, 2007

Flashback to College

Most of you who knew me in college know that one of my strengths was not time management. I was known for the all-nighter to do the paper the night before. There was just too many people to spend time with until the paper was due. SOme of you (Bryce and Kush and Fudge) remember the pain of writing these papers and the amount of coffee that I consumed that would kill a normal human being, however it has become a part of my blood.

As I went to grad school, I have been deteremined to break the cycle (not the coffee drinking) of all-nighters, and I pretty much did it until last night. I made a mistake reading my syllabus and got the due date for a term paper wrong. Basically, I had to write the full term paper yesterday as well as take care of my families and fulfill some other things in the afternoon. THis means, I brought back the all-nighter. Just finished the paper, and it's time to turn it in.

I can't wait to be done with school!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

CP and Danielle-

oh teh good ole days...

we can't wait to see the girls... when are you all coming back to the 'burg. Did you hear that Trav, Nin, and Sophia are moving back? And that Ben might be helping out with Young Life Capernaum here... Exciting times! We should plan a dinner all together!

Paul M. Pace said...

Here's the question, "Why do we even write papers?" I think we write to bring a formulation of our idea's, thoughts, and passions, so that we can articulate it to others. So many papers though are written for the sake of writing. I really sometimes thank God that Paul didn't do that, because if he was as wordy as I think he was, we would probably only be able to read half his writings in our lifetime. Dr. Marianne Meye Thompson said that she asked N.T. Wright once if he could write a book about Jesus under 700 pages. While putting the mere blasphemy of N.T. Wright aside, I think that is a very good point.

jason said...

Well.. congrats on getting it done. I am thankful for your work eithic and know it will help the world be a better place. I know God will use it to bring glory to himself and his church.

Send me the paper!

-J

Anonymous said...

oh darn- and you forgot to call me and ask me if we'd still love you if you flunked out of school.

mom
P.S. same answer- I would, but your dad.....

Anonymous said...

Paul - if you don't mind please explain what you meant by "mere blasphemy of N.T. Wright". I'm just curious as I honestly didn't understand that statement.

CP - Was there any grunting, Tecmo Bowl breaks, hitting your head on the desk, or protein in your coffee???

If you answer yes to ANY of the above that's more than a flashback my friend. It's actual time travel. :)

Paul M. Pace said...

Kush, Corey and I joke about N.T. Wright, because I read him so much, often quoting his statements. I was making a joke, because I think so highly of him, and his way of explaining the meaning of scripture. Within that framework I was attempting to be funny, but I probably shouldn't use that term to speak of a person though.

Danielle Paxton said...

LEES- great to hear from you, looks like the burg is going to be more fun if all those things happen! that's really exciting. I talked to conners for a while today, it was really good catching up, i miss you guys. we haven't nailed down the exact dates yet: sometime btw. july and august in between moving across country, going to africa, and moving to raleigh


kush, look you made an internet buddy.

blogging good. i didn't even to have to introduce you guys----

kush--- paul is a friend from seminary and paul, kush is a friend from college, there now all are friends

I think we write paper to actually push us to process our thoughts concisely and clearly. The value I have found in paper writing in seminary is the discipline of thinking things through that I otherwise would not. Hopefuly, this translates into other areas of my life as well. Also, I would not be challenged to think as deeply without papers. You write better when others are grading you. I still don't like footnotes though.

I also find a spiritual discipline in having to do some things I don't want to do well because our culture really teaches us to just do what feels good to us or comes easily to us

Shema

Danielle Paxton said...

Jason- thanks for the encouragmement, you ole g hippie

you realy want my paper, i had to write 15 pages on 6 verses of the Psalm 13--- how that is even possible, i'm still not sure0 I think the coffee did it

Anonymous said...

kush- i know who you are but i won't reveal your identity!!! just wanted you to know- I'll vote for you. run now. love, mama p.

jc for JC said...

"within that framework"? Paul, aren't you always trying to be funny? You sound so intelligent using that phrase. Maybe I should add that to my verbal repertoire. For example:

"Within tha framework, we must always realize that John C. Richards, Jr. is great in the sport of basketball."

Works for me. :) Nah, congrats Corey on finishing the paper. I usually procrastinate on my papers as well. I call it a gift, but surely it isn't. Here's to my all nighter on Sunday for a paper due Monday. Here, here.

John

Bernie said...

Oh, man! You know, I've done that a couple times here, but not with a wife and kids. I'm sorry, buddy. Thank God for caffeine, though, huh?!

Bernie said...

Mrs. P., you're great! We need that unconditional momma love around here :)

Anonymous said...

Paul,

RE: N.T. Wright... I figured as much (that is was a joke) b/c from what CP has said about N.T. Wright I know he'd likely ban anyone speaking poorly of him from the illustrious CP blog. :)

It's good to "meet" you. I don't yet have a blog as I'm warming up to this world but when I do your invited. :)

Mamma P,

Thanks for keeping the secret, your vote, and most of all for the love. You rock!

Anonymous said...

CPz,

That's why you become an overrated basketball player so you don't have to write papers. And to think I once looked up to you in high school.

Anonymous said...

Corey, you are obviously a better college student than me... i have never ever pulled an all nighter to finish work... maybe that just means i'm a super uber nerd?? or that i don't write papers... that could be it too:)

--Scootie