A friend of mine just came by to borrow my basketball, and I said, "celebrating hell day by playing basketball?"
I'm not really sure where that came from, but I have been reflecting on the reality that God died and went to hell during this time. This isn't usually the part of the easter weekend we really celebrate too much, but I think we should think about it. We usually think about God going into hell in our place, but I am thinking about it as God coming into the hells of the world, coming into the pain and suffering of the world, coming into our personal hells to bring new life, to bring us real hope. We live in a world where there is a lot of hell for a lot of people, and we follow a God who has been there and back again and I think invites us with Him to bring others hope because we have found a new life.
Happy Hell Day
Saturday, April 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I concur that we don't often think about enough the suffering and reality that Christ went through on this day... but, I am so very thankful that we don't have to stay there. We get an empty tomb tomorrow. Truly contemplating the reality of Christ's life at this time makes the emtpy tomb that much more meaningful.
I need it! Who else does?
sis
Hi,
Your dad tried to get me to watch The Passion tonite. I couldn't do it. Happy Hell Day. mom
HAPPY HELL DAY!
Hey guys,
Jenyth, amen, sister.
Mom, i know you still don't like movies with blood, good thing the bible is written word
Traci, yes, resurrection, yes, good for soul. however, i think we get there too quickly sometimes. watched blood diamond last night- there are a lot of hells going on for a lot of people and i'm thankful that our God has gone to the belly of the whale before emerging victorious
I played basketball with some of those people on "Hell Day", but it was only hell for them, due to my incredible crossover, followed by a "finger roll". No seriously though, Corey, what do you think hell is? I don't think I have ever talked to you about that. I would love to hear your thoughts? Would you say it is what the evangelical tradition has taught, or do you suppose it is more Jewish in the sense of a 'casting out from the midst of the community of faith'? To a Jew, being cast away from the community, meant being unable to participate within the practices of Judaism, including the Temple rituals. Do you think the church has brought the word OT understanding of Sheole (the abode of the dead) and Gehenna (the valley of fire outside Jerusalem) together to form our current context? Meaning casting out to live in an area where there dwells no life, no true life? Just wondering what you thought?
Paul
I never really thought of that, but I guess it's just because you're wierd!
Happy Hell Day,
Bethany
Post a Comment