To find watch videos to find out more info:
http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/ProjectVideo.aspx

I just read an article today in TIME on the Jamestown Colony at the beginning of our country. I used to drive by the Jamestown exhibit everyday on the way to Jamestown high school when I was on staff with Young Life in Williamsburg, and it was a reminder at the ways we justify the dehumanization and oppression of others. When I studied American History in college, I was always shocked that the majority of the christian church justified slavery and supported it as a positive part of building a healthy society. I got to see the continued cycles of the founding system in our country that allowed "liberty" and slavery to exist side by side continue to play out in the life of our community.
In addition to the many injustices in our culture, slavery still exists in many places in the world. Human trafficking is 32 billion dollar industry. Since coming to California, this is an issue Danielle has become passionate about, and we have been working to educate ourselves on the issue to see what ordinary people can do about the problem. Just as the church justified slavery in early America, there were always a minority that voiced out and worked for the abolition of slaves. Christians were always leading the way to free people from slavery.

Danielle has found this book helpful to learn about the issue and has been discussing it with a group of women:
In our culture, the church often lives by the accepted values of consumerism, comfort, security, and convience so much that we fail to connect to God's imagination to bring healing and rescue to those who despeartely need it. Jesus did not live, die, and rise from the dead to justify our self-absorbed existence but to call us out of ourselves into a life that is lived fully for the rescue and redemption of others. He wants to inspire an alternative imagination in us to restore the world to God's intentions.
This is an issue we need to think about, pray about, wrestle with, and support.
What did my friends in Raleigh learn this weekend?
8 comments:
All this stuff going on in Raleigh this weekend really makes me wish I was there already. I'm excited to be part of a community that is so tangibly tackling stuff like this. Kudos to all y'all in our new home.
HI Bernie. When are you coming to Raleigh?
This past weekend was great! We had a great turn out on Friday night for the concert. Jason did an excellent job preparing for that, but the best part for me was hearing each band talk about human trafficking and why it was important for them to be playing to raise awareness and funds to help support children who are lost and hurting.
I know we have a lot in front of us as we discover our identiy as a group of people who are trying to bring God's kingdom to earth, but I am thankful to be a part of it and am encouraged by blog posts like this and by the momentum that was started.
One of the things that Kimberly talked about was living in the inbetween (Jesus' assention and return) and how we are to live out his kingdom here and now. When I think about it that way, I'm not too concerned about my here and now, and more concerned with others... does that make sense?
If it all goes as planned I'll be moving into one of Scott Shackleton's houses in Boylan Heights on July 15. I'll be exhausted and broke, but I'm looking forward to meeting you and all the other fun people in Raleigh and becoming part of this community that's figuring out how to love God's children more deeply.
Sounds like y'all really did make a good start this weekend. Are there future human trafficking events in the works?
I like what you say about living in the inbetween. That's something we talk about a lot here, but I had not really thought about it from the perspective that our view of eschatology is yet another thing that allows us to stop paying attention to ourselves and look to others. We know we have security through Christ, yet we don't usually live like that do we?
Are you familiar with Stopthetraffik.org We did some work with them in Brussels last summer. Sad situation, thanks for continuing to spread the word on trafficking.
Great Bernie, you will like Boylan Heights.
I get info from Stop the Traffik too. They have some very well done film clips that discuss the problem and prompt action.
We are just getting to the point where we are moving towards more action, no decisions yet.
hey rit
thanks for signing on, you are looking smooth in that suit by the way, i didn't know you guys did work with someone in brussels working on the issue- how are you guys supporting them?
i have seen that website as well, it's a good resource-
May 12th is International Fair Trade day. By starting to purchase more and more items that are Fair Trade we can also help stop Human Trafficking!
Post a Comment